Thursday, February 20, 2014

Treatise to Bad Leaders: The folly of power play


Dear blog:

Kindly allow me to ventilate about what I consider to be the folly of offices and administrative positions. It is one thing to be a leader but it is another to wield your ignorance and vanity over those you serve. I have never considered myself a perfectionist but after making observations of people’s failure to take initiative even in the least of situations I might have to reconsider my verdict.

This morning, like a number of other mornings, I ran into what I like calling the daily hiccups at the work station. Is it just me or are all work stations similar in their dissimilar ways? When people pretend to work but at the end of the day harbour nothing to show for their sweat then I am tempted to make them the butt of my disgruntlement.

Why is it that some people are obsessed with having their egos rubbed or is it oiled? It seems that some people will never let us have peace in our duties unless we make an effort to pamper their inflated egos! How else do you explain why people will insist that we must physically see them and seek for their approval over something in person? Even when you do an email to request for something a good number of people will still demand that you print it for them! Duh! Then what is all the crap about going green!

It does not add up for me when corporates insist that they are going green and then at the end of the day we are compelled to print forms that contain requisite information that suffices to communicate our needs, expectations and even at times our work tasks.

I guess this is what I term the folly of power play – some small minded people who are progressively being rendered jobless by technology. In their desperation to appear relevant, they frustrate the rest of us when they engage in developing strategic plans, drawing up policy briefs etc. when we begin doing our jobs efficiently, they suddenly appear, nay, intrude and demand that we must show them what we have been up to. For heaven’s sake don’t spend money on a system if you want people to work manually.

I know human beings are social beings and need to interact. But at times we also need to retreat, rethink and re-strategize without having to make consultations. It would not hurt if we developed systems that enhanced efficiency even if it means reduced physical interaction. Then the zealots of condescending attitude would be sorted!

My dearest blog, allow me to pen off here so that I can toil for my bread and butter. I hope that I will not be frustrated again with needless demands that interfere with my pursuit for professional growth. I wish you a wonderful day, of course one filled with fulfilment and a sense of self actualisation.

Yours Sincere Pal,
Larry Ndivo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts