Friday, January 10, 2014

Epitaph for Westgate Mall

It was during the Westgate Mall siege that it suddenly dawned on me that some of the things I watch in movies can happen in real life. It was a frustrating realisation for me especially because I am a student of literature. As a student of literature I should have remembered that movies are part of literature and despite the exaggerations they still bear a sense of faithfulness to reality because after all literature is a mirror of the society. Now that is interesting. During this devastating time I penned down the following poem as a tribute to humankind:


To be so vulnerable,
To know that there is nothing one can do,
To lie hopeless like a hit and run victim,
To think of the muzzles of guns,
To imagine of death, to smell the fear in the air,
To listen to the rat a tat of gun fire,
To see the bodies strewn all over, 
the kids & women scampering about in panic,
This is to be intimate with horror,
And to understand helplessness...

May those that were affected by this tragedy discover the Lord's love and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts